M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW)
What is the maximum range of the M249 (SAW)?
What is the maximum effective range of the M249 with tripod and T+E?
What is the maximum range of the M249 against an area target for both tripod and bipod?
Tripod – 1,000 meters Bipod – 800 meters
What is the maximum range of the M249 against a point target for both tripod and bipod?
Tripod – 800 meters
Bipod – 600 meters
What does S.A.W. stand for?
Squad Automatic Weapon
What is the weight of the M249?
What is the basic load of ammunition for the M249?
1,000 rounds (in 200 round drums)
What is the length of the M249?
Describe the M249.
The M249 machine gun is a gas-operated, air-cooled, belt or magazine-fed, automatic weapon that fires from the
What FM covers the M249?
What are the rates of fire for the M249?
• Sustained rate is 100 rounds per minute
• Rapid rate is 200 rounds per minute
• Cyclic rate is 650 to 850 rounds per minute
What are the proper procedures for clearing the M249?
1. Moves the safety to the fire “F” position by pushing it to the left until the red ring is visible.
2. With his right hand, palm up, pulls the cocking handle to the rear, locking the bolt in place.
3. While holding the resistance on the cocking handle, moves the safety to the SAFE position by pushing it to the
right until the red ring is not visible. (The weapon cannot be placed on safe unless the bolt is locked to the rear.)
4. Returns and locks the cocking handle in the forward position.
5. Raises the cover and feed mechanism assembly, and conducts the five-point safety check for brass, links, or
(1) Checks the feed pawl assembly under the feed cover.
(2) Checks the feed tray assembly.
(3) Lifts the feed tray assembly and inspects the chamber.
(4) Checks the space between the bolt assembly and the chamber.
(5) Inserts two fingers of his left hand in the magazine well to extract any ammunition or brass.
6. Closes the cover and feed mechanism assembly and moves the safety to the “F” position. With his right hand,
palm up, returns the cocking handle to the rear position. Presses the trigger and at the same time eases the bolt
forward by manually riding the cocking handle forward.
What are the 8 major groups of the M249?
1. Operating Rod Group
2. Barrel Group
3. Handguard Group
4. Buttstock and Buffer Assembly Group
5. Trigger Mechanism Group
6. Gas Cylinder Group
7. Bipod Group
8. Receiver Group
The M249 is loaded, fired, unloaded and cleared from what bolt position?
The open bolt position
What are the steps to the cycle of functioning for the M249?
How do you adjust for windage with the M249?
Adjustments for windage are made by traversing the rear sight right and left along the sliding scale.
How do you adjust for elevation with the M249?
Adjustments for elevation (range) require the automatic rifleman to turn the elevation knob (closest to the buttstock)
on the rear sight to the desired range setting.
Name 3 assault firing positions used with the M249
What are two unique features of the M249?
It has a regulator to change the rate of fire, and it is fed by M16 magazines as well as belt fed