Site terms and conditions
Determine a Location on the Ground by Terrain Association
Conditions: In the field during daylight, while at an unknown location on the ground, given a standard 1:50,000-scale military map of the area,
pencil, paper, a coordinate scale and protractor, and a known point on the ground.
Standards: Within 7 minutes, determine the six-digit coordinate of your location with a 100-meter tolerance.
1. Determine the type of terrain feature you are located on.
2. Determine what types of terrain features surround your location.
3. Orient the map.
4. Determine the four cardinal directions (North, South, East, and West).
5. Determine your location.
a. Relate the terrain features on the ground to those shown on the map.
b. After you have determined where the terrain features on the ground and those on the map coincide, determine the coordinates of your
location using the coordinate scale and protractor.
Evaluation Preparation: SETUP: Select a field site whose terrain features are shown on the map. At the test site, provide a field table, a 1:
50,000-scale military map of the area, pencil, paper, and a coordinate scale.
BRIEF SOLDIER: Tell the Soldier he must determine a six-digit coordinate of his location within 7 minutes. Tell the Soldier one of the cardinal
directions (North, South, East, or West).
Performance Measures GO NO-GO
1. Identified the type of terrain feature where you are located. —— ——
2. Identified the terrain features around your location. —— ——
3. Oriented the map. —— ——
4. Determined the remaining three cardinal directions. —— ——
5. Identified the same terrain features on the map. —— ——
6. Determined the six-digit grid coordinate of your own location (the point selected must be within 100 meters of your location).
Evaluation Guidance: Score the Soldier GO if all performance measures are passed. Score the Soldier NO-GO if any performance measure is
failed. If the Soldier scores NO-GO, show the Soldier what was done wrong and how to do it correctly.
Download and print
this warrior task
|THIS IS NOT A GOVERNMENT SPONSORED WEB SITE