Site terms and conditions
Maintain Your Assigned Protective Mask
Conditions: You have used your assigned protective mask or must conduct a scheduled mask inspection. You are given your assigned protective mask (with
authorized accessories and components); a container of warm, soapy water; soap; a container of warm, clear water; cheese cloth or clean rags; a small cleaning
brush; alcohol; optical lens cleaning compound (national stock number [NSN] 6850-00-592-3283); the applicable supply bulletin, the applicable technical manual
(TM): TM 3-4240-279-10 (M17), TM 3-4240-280-10 (M24), TM 3-4240-300-10-2 (M42), TM 3-4240-312-12&P (M43), or TM 3-4240-346-10 (M40A1); DA Form 2404
(Equipment Maintenance and Inspection Worksheet) or DA Form 5988-E (Equipment Maintenance and Inspection Work Sheet Electronic); spare parts for the masks;
and a set of replacement filters (M17-series mask) or a replacement canister. This task cannot be performed in mission-oriented protective posture (MOPP) 4.
Standards: Maintain your assigned protective mask, ensuring that—
1. Preventive-maintenance checks and services (PMCS) are performed on the mask according to the applicable TM.
2. The mask is cleaned and dried.
3. No damage is done to the mask.
4. Record uncorrected deficiencies on DA Form 2404 or DA Form 5988-E, and report them to your supervisor.
WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE HOSE FROM THE FACE PIECE ON THE M42 PROTECTIVE MASK. THIS MAY CAUSE LEAKAGE OF TOXIC AGENTS
IN THE FACE MASK.
CAUTION: DO NOT DUNK THE MASK OR CARRIER IN WATER.
CAUTION: WASH THE MASK CAREFULLY SO THAT THE CANISTER AND MICROPHONE DO NOT GET WET.
CAUTION: ENSURE THAT ALL COMPONENTS ARE ENTIRELY DRY BEFORE REASSEMBLING THE MASK AND STORING IT.
NOTE: Each Soldier must care for and maintain his protective mask.
NOTE: Keep water away from the inlet valve connectors.
1. Conduct operator PMCS on the protective mask, carrier, hood, and accessories according to the TM applicable to your assigned protective mask.
a. Identify deficiencies and shortcomings.
b. Correct operator deficiencies.
c. Record all uncorrected deficiencies and shortcomings on DA Form 2404 or DA Form 5988-E, and report them to your supervisor.
2. Clean and dry the mask, hood, and authorized accessories and components according to the TM applicable to your assigned protective mask.
3. Store the mask, hood, and accessories in the carrier according to the TM applicable to your assigned protective mask.
4. Perform steps 1 through 4 without damaging the mask.
Evaluation Preparation: Setup: A good time to evaluate this task is during normal care and cleaning of the mask. Place the required equipment on a field table or
another suitable surface. Simulate defects in the mask by removing components from the mask or using a defective mask not issued to the Soldier. During training
and evaluation sessions, use an old set of filters or canister several times to avoid expending new ones each time. If the Soldier has not made adequate progress
towards completing the task within 30 minutes, stop him and give him a NO-GO. This time standard is administrative.
Brief Soldier: Tell the Soldier there is no time standard for this task on the job, but for testing purposes he must perform the task within 30 minutes. Tell him to
perform operator PMCS on the mask, clean and condition his assigned protective mask, and replace the filters in the mask. Tell the Soldier that finishing a DA Form
2404 or DA form 5988-E is not part of the task.
Performance Measures GO NO-GO
1. Conducted operator PMCS on the protective mask, carrier, hood, and accessories according to the applicable TM. —— ——
2. Cleaned and dried the mask, hood, and authorized accessories and components according to the applicable TM. —— ——
3. Replace defective components and parts according to the TM applicable to your assigned protective mask. —— ——
4. Stored the mask, hood, and accessories in the carrier according to the applicable TM. —— ——
5. Performed steps 1 through 4 without damaging the mask. —— ——
Evaluation Guidance: Score the Soldier GO if all steps are passed (P). Score the Soldier NO-GO if any step is failed (F). If the Soldier fails any step, show him how to
do it correctly.
DA FORM 2404
DA FORM 5988-E
Download and print
this warrior task
|THIS IS NOT A GOVERNMENT SPONSORED WEB SITE